Panic Near White House After Gunman Opens Fire
A shocking shooting incident near the White House created panic in Washington DC on Saturday evening.
A shocking shooting incident near the White House created panic in Washington DC on Saturday evening. A 21-year-old man identified as Nasire Best allegedly opened fire close to a security checkpoint near the White House before being shot dead by US Secret Service officers during an exchange of gunfire.
According to officials, the incident happened near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, close to the Eisenhower Executive Office Building. Witnesses said the suspect was seen walking around the area before suddenly pulling a revolver from his bag and firing several shots toward security personnel.
Secret Service officers quickly responded and returned fire within seconds. The suspect was seriously injured during the shooting and later died at a hospital. Authorities also confirmed that one bystander was injured in the incident. However, no Secret Service officers were hurt.
Reports said Nasire Best was already known to law enforcement agencies because of earlier incidents near the White House. Officials claimed he had a history of mental health problems and had previously tried to enter restricted areas around the presidential complex. Sources also revealed that he had once been sent to a psychiatric facility for mental evaluation after making unusual statements.
The shooting caused fear and confusion among journalists and media teams working near the White House. Several reporters said they heard many gunshots and immediately rushed for safety. Some journalists were recording news videos when the shooting started. Secret Service officers quickly ordered everyone to get down and move inside the press briefing room for protection.
The entire White House area was placed under temporary lockdown for around 40 minutes while security teams checked the surroundings. Ambulances and police vehicles were seen outside the area soon after the shooting.
At the time of the incident, former US President Donald Trump was reportedly inside the White House during important diplomatic discussions. Officials later confirmed that he was informed about the situation.
Federal agencies, including the FBI, have now launched a detailed investigation into the shooting. Authorities are also examining the suspect’s background and social media activity to understand what led to the violent attack.